Tips for when you’re looking for builders
Watch what Stephanie, one of our previous clients had to say when we ask her:
“What is the best advice you would give to someone looking to start a building project?”
Things to remember when looking for builders
Once you have determined which of the 3 residential building contracts you want to employ a builder for – it’s time to start looking for builders for your job.
Building a new home or doing house renovations is a huge financial and emotional investment and you need to take the time to do a thorough check on any prospective builder, their workmanship, references and credentials.
It is crucial you hire a builder with whom you feel comfortable and that you can trust. As challenges arise, you need to be confident that you will be able to express your ideas and give feedback that will be accepted and discussed. One simple way to discover this is with client testimonials.
Usually these can be found on the builders’ website or you may personally know somebody who has worked with them in the past that you can talk to. Also, when you visit a builder’s previous jobs, speak to the homeowners about the character and quality of the builder.
What to ask builders?
Depending on the type of job you are looking for a builder to do, it will heavily influence the types of questions you will need to ask.
However, below is a list of questions for builders that will be relevant in most situations.
- What guarantees can you give me?
- What type of contracts do you work on?
- What’s your work routine like?
- What areas do you work in?
- How and when do I make payments?
- When can you start?
- Are you insured?
- How long have you been in business for?
- Do you have other properties we could look at and possibly talk to the owners there as well?
- Which trade bodies are you currently registered with?
- What building awards have you won?
- Can you help me with the design of my house?
To hear my answers to a number of these questions, just click here.